Tuesday 8 May 2012

Japan - Tokyo and Chiba

Spending only few days in Japan could only mean rushing from one place to another using trains, exercising my legs to the max.  Since my sister lives in Chiba, going to Tokyo means I have to travel for 1 hour by bus and train.

If you read my previous blog, my trip to Japan was disrupted by the devastating tsunami.  Since we arrived few days before, we managed to visit some of the tourist spots in Tokyo.

We started our trip with Asakusa .  It houses the famous Sensoji temple, a Buddhist temple built on the 7th century.  During the 1600s Asakusa was a very busy area filled with kabuki theaters and it was one of the red ligth district in Tokyo.  A large part of Asakusa was destroyed during the World War II.  Although it ws rebuilt after the war, the area was not as lively as it used to be.



I shamefully admit that instead of learning the story of the temple, I did what most women do when they visit a tourist spot : taking pictures and shopping. The temple is surrounded by small little cute shops sellling tid-bits, funny-flavoured ice cream, souvenirs, and clothes. 



One thing attracted me is the rickshaws parked in front of the temple.  Tourists can rent one of them to go around the temple, pulled by men dressed in traditional Japanese yukata.




I was fascinated by the number of vending machines in Japan.  When I lived in US, vending machines only dispose snacks, tasteless coffees and softdrinks.  In Japan, the vending machines are "very smart".  The pictures below will tell you why they are smart...



you can order STEAK...!!

 
<><>
<>
<><>
 
full set bento, ramen or salad are ordered thru vending machines


softdrinks, coffees, teas, organic juices and beers are sold here..
(no age limit for alcohol purchase..?)

Being a Muslim, it is very difficult to find halal restaurants near my sister's house, Chiba perfecture.  However, most of the restaurants serve vegetarian and seafood menus, even in a ramen shop. 

I went to this cute traditional restaurant at Gyotoku area, serving unusual ancient Japanese dishes.



Egg and Potato (don't remember the name in Japanese)
The egg is baked together with sliced potatoes, then topped with fried onions, bonito flakes and brown sauce.

Fried Mochi
A savoury mochi, made of glutinous rice flour, deep fried until crisp, dipped into soy-based sauce


Cooking Monju
Starchy vegetarian dish made with sliced cabbage, egg and tapioca


Shredded Salad with Sesame Dressing
Shredded cabbage and green leaves topped with crispy wanton strips and minced meat, served with toasted bread and drizzled with tangy sesame dressing
I had to cut my trip short due to tsunami.  If I have a chance, insyaallah, I will go back to Japan and explore more interesting places.

2 comments:

  1. Salam.
    I'm planning to visit japan at the end of this year,( if Allah wills it). Do you have any advice thay worth sharing? For example, an affordable place to stay for one or two...? Hope u can help!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thank you very much for posting this! it's very useful!
    Must Visit: http://www.youcojapan.com/

    Regards,
    Muslim friendly event in japan

    ReplyDelete